Team Size and Playing Time
- Roster Size – minimum is 7 athletes, maximum is 16.
- Six positions
- Center – the only player on a team allowed to move the full length of the court and is active on both offense and defense. The center must take all face-offs
- Offense – two offensive players; must have one foot in the offensive zone at all times to be considered onside. They may reach across the center line with their stick. Offensive players are not allowed to enter the opposing goalkeeper’s crease at any time or play the puck while it’s in the crease.
- Defense – two defensive players; must have one foot in the defensive zone to be considered onside. They may reach across the center line with their stick. Defensive players are allowed to enter their goalkeeper’s crease and play the puck.
- Goalkeeper – one goalkeeper who is not restricted to the goal crease, but only has the privileges of a goalkeeper when they have at least one foot in the crease.
- Substitutions – allowed at the three and six minute mark of each period or in case of injury. Teams may also substitute players if a timeout is called.
- Goalkeeper Substitution – a team can pull their goalie within the last two minutes of the 3rd period during a timeout and are allowed an extra center on the court (must have a striped stick)
- Offense/Defense – a change of position between offense and defense can be made when the play has stopped and must notify the referee before doing so.
- Playing Time – all players on a team’s roster are required to play during the course of the game, but players are not required to play equal amounts.